This project regenerated the site of Canniesburn Hospital, incorporating buildings with original 1930’s modernist design.
Originally a tuberculosis treatment centre, where treatment focussed on fresh air for the patients, it was set in generous landscaped grounds and the buildings have significant terraces and balconies where the patients would be encouraged to enjoy the outside environment.
There were three 1930’s buildings on the site, which have been sensitively converted to flatted accommodation, making the most of the south facing glazing and terraces.
An existing 1970’s building was also converted to flats, with two additional storeys added over the existing five to create two-storey penthouses with south-facing terrace on top.
Thereafter, newbuild flats and townhouses have been plotted in the grounds around the retained buildings, complementarily designed in the style of the existing estate and the remaining grounds landscaped to provide a generous amenity including the retention of the mature trees around the perimeter. In all 240 residential units were constructed together with a nursery and a two-storey office building.