Queen Victoria School
Queen Victoria School in Dunblane is a Ministry of Defence owned and funded secondary school, established in perpetuity under an Act of Parliament in 1908 as a national memorial to Scottish soldiers who served in the South African war. The school is fully boarding, co-educational and tri-Service for 280 pupils from the ages of 10/11 up to 18.
QVS is located on a rural campus on rising land immediately to the north of Dunblane and a short distance from the city of Stirling. The campus has developed in an ad-hoc basis since its establishment and now comprises a wide range of building types, from the A listed main building and Church to a series of temporary buildings, that are not conducive to a modern learning environment in which students can flourish and thrive.
Holmes Miller, working collaboratively with GVA James Barr and Horner + MacLennan Landscape Architects, have undertaken extensive consultation with the pupils, staff and stakeholders of QVS to understand the ethos and values of the school and their requirements to redevelop the school.
The proposals within the Landscape Masterplan include rationalisation and modernisation of Queen Victoria School and grounds, including the provision of a new teaching block, accommodation block and relocation of activities to existing and new build accommodation such as pipes and drums centre, dance hall, new stores building and new dining kitchen building. Demolition of surplus unlisted buildings and extensive landscaping and other public realm improvement works. Drainage works to existing burn and repositioning of culvert.
Queen Victoria School / Ministry of Defense