Walker & Imperial Halls, Kilbirnie
This commission consisted of the external fabric repair of both the Imperial & Walker Halls in Kilbirnie, North Ayrshire. The Imperial Hall is a grade-B listed building built during the 1870s and originally functioned as a staging inn whilst the adjacent Walker Hall was built in 1915.
The buildings were suffering from rot infestation and water ingress. The damaged cement harling was replaced with a lime-based harling, allowing the buildings to breathe. The harling was applied hot to assist the drying out of the buildings. The original colour scheme was also applied to the buildings. This project was partly funded by Historic Scotland’s CARS scheme.
The refurbishment of the halls now provides Kilbirnie’s streetscape with a much needed confidence boost as well as providing healthy public accommodation for its citizens.
North Ayrshire Council
Kilbirnie, North Ayrshire