The Picture House, Glasgow

The Ascot Cinema (grade B listed) was the last of the “Super Cinemas” of the 1920’s and 30’s in Glasgow. Built in 1939 it was opened by Gracie Fields at the start of the war.
The building conformed to the classic “Super Cinema” appearance with faience glazed terracotta tiles to the frontage and vertical contrasting pilasters with long horizontal canopy.
After the many years of neglect it was determined that only the front facades on to Great Western Road could be saved with new housing installed behind.
The fully restored facade exists today as a landmark on this grand avenue, a clear reference to the history of Anniesland.


Great Western Road, Anniesland, Glasgow


July 2003