Apartment Hotel, Glasgow
This development comprises the major refurbishment and extension of three Listed Buildings at a prominent site in Glasgow’s Merchant City fronting onto Trongate, Albion Street and Candleriggs: 100-104 Trongate built by George Bell in 1894-7 and comprises a six storey corner building at the juncture of Candleriggs and Trongate; 96-98 Trongate built in approximately 1840 and; 60 Trongate built by J.T. Rochead in 1854 and comprises a five storey building fronting onto Trongate and Albion Street. Major architectural feature is the corner tower.
The completed project provides accommodation for 102 Serviced Apartments over four storeys together with entrance reception and back-of-house hotel accommodation. Additional retail accommodation has been provided at ground floor and basement level.
The works required a close working relationship with the Planning Department and Merchant City Townscape Heritage Initiative. Merchant City Townscape Heritage Initiative provided £0.5 Million grant aid from the Lottery Heritage Fund.
Albion Street, Glasgow